CERTIFICATION OF SOLAR COLLECTORS AND DOMESTIC SOLAR WATER HEATING SYSTEMS
The key of of solar hot water systems exports
The SOLAR KEYMARK is a European mark of CEN (European Committee for Standardization) and supported by the European Federation of Industry Solar Thermal products (ESTIF), on solar thermal products (solar panels and domestic solar water heating systems), which suggests the compliance of those products with the requirements of specific European standards (EN 12975 and EN 12976 respectively).
Compliance is determined by authorized from CEN Certification Bodies who are accredited to certain standards by National Accreditation Bodies, and therefore have the right to award the license label SOLAR KEYMARK.
Solar Keymark is the most important quality label for solar thermal products in the European Union and is recognized by most European countries. In many countries the Solar Keymark is a mandatory requirement for taking part in public tenders.
The basic steps for awarding the label Solar Keymark are:
- Control of the production process of solar products based on the requirements of the European Standard EN ISO 9001.
- Carrying out laboratory tests for solar products according to European standards EN 12975-2 (collectors) and EN 12976-2 (solar water heating systems).
- Evaluation of the results of laboratory tests and the production control process by an accredited certification body.
- Presentation of Certificates / Compliance Trademarks of solar products to the requirements of the respective European standards (EN 12975 and EN 12976).
- Annual / biennial follow-up inspection verification of maintaining the technical characteristics of solar products and the production process system.
The continued right to use the Solar Keymark from the manufacturer, following the award of conditional positive assessment by DQS Hellas Certification Organization
Testing laboratories engaged by the DQS Hellas Certification Organization are:
- Authorized to carry out the necessary tests in accordance with the requirements of European standards EN 12975-2 and EN 12976-2,
- Accredited by the National Accreditation Agency as the European standard EN 17025.
In Greece the DQS Hellas cooperates with the Laboratory of NCSR “Demokritos”
The categories of solar thermal products are certified today
the DQS Hellas is:
A) Solar panels
- Flat solar collectors, which are defined as non-aggregated collectors whose suction surface is substantially planar
- Solar collectors with vacuum tube type «Dewar», defined as the panels have transparent glass tubes two walls, wherein the space between the walls there vacuo and the absorber in the glass tubes may be cylindrical or other shape
B) Solar systems for domestic hot water:
- Integrated systems
- Thermosiphon systems
C) Forced circulation systems of the heating fluid.
The certification can be a valuable tool:
- For serious manufacturer who suffer the consequences of unfair competition from products of dubious quality and origin and who wants yes utilize tests for continuous improvement of its production.
- For the designer who needs to know the real characteristics of products with a view to producing a technically robust, energy-realistic and economically sustainable design.
- For the investor or consumer, who has often been in the past the consequences of problematic operations and reluctant to proceed with the necessary investment; Concerned about the suitability of products and the conformity of their characteristics.
- For the state, which is interested in the further penetration of RES and further invited to allocate the resources available to support RES by reference to the actual expected energy benefits.
- For the Greek economy by strengthening export activities of manufacturers, since the Solar Keymark gives them a passport to penetrate the global market.
The benefits of acquiring the right to use the mark Solar Keymark are:
- The acceptable quality and certified performance of the solar collector.
- The registration / publication of the certified product to the CEN database.
- The contribution to saving energy and reducing CO2 emissions.
- Improving the competitiveness of manufacturers in the demanding market of solar products
- Improving the quality of the solar products.
- The protection of the consumer as the end user by providing all necessary guarantees.
- The visibility of the product as certified in destination countries.